The Antique Motorcycle Club of Ameria (AMCA) was founded in 1954 to preserve, restore, and exhibit motorcylces that are more than 35 years old. More information on the organization, and the location of chapters, may be found at: www.antiquemotorcycle.org
The Fort Sutter Chapter of the AMCA was created in in 1982 and was the second West Coast chapter of the AMCA. There were a dozen founding members, all from the Sacramento, California area. The Chapter now includes enthusiasts from many parts of Northern California.
Prior to 1982, Sacramento had an Indian Motorcycle Club, known as the Fort Sutter Motorcycle Club, which was founded in 1932, but disbanded in 1972. Several of these members later became the founding members of the Fort Sutter Chapter.
The photos below are part of Fort Sutter Chapter archives. The group welcomes submission of other historic photos or memorabilia, or stories about motorcycling in earlier days.
Contact: the Web Wrench, Shari Pratt Spboomer@aol.com or any of the Chapter Board members.
The first Fort Sutter Chapter activity in June 1982 was documented in this printed "newsletter".
Al Lauer was one of the Chapter's founding members. The old photo shows him on his OHV Excelsior Super X Hill Climber in front of Al's Indian Shop on J Street in Sacramento, CA. Member George Hass is the proud owner of the motorcycle today.
Armando Magri was another Chapter founder. This photo of him was taken at Lodi Stadium.
Francis "Shorty" Thompkins
Jack Gormley was a founding Chapter member .The motorcycle is a Crocker.
Ed "Spider" Hawtrey was a founding member. This photo is from a Colfax Climb, a Chapter event.
The old poster below advertised a Fort Sutter Motorcycle Club event. This early group was the forerunner to today's Chapter.
September 2003 Lake Tahoe Run
Jeff Sierck's late 30's Chief on the way to Virginia City.
A stop at Bridgeport's Sportsmen's Inn for lunch.
Jim Moore, Bob Kergel, John Vonkorvaly, among others, ready to leave the Wellington, Nevada gas stop on the way to Bridgeport, CA.